Monday, November 23, 2009

Am I out of touch, or is Christmas more subdued this year?

It's late November and I haven't seen one Santa on my TV screen. I remember remarking in previous years how retailers have hit the Christmas button early, sometimes as early as October. There's definitely something more restrained this year. There's still plenty of retail catalogues published, but I cannot recall seeing a Santa in them either.

Perhaps I don't notice Santa any more because my daughter is no longer a believer. She discovered several years ago that if you want something in your Christmas stocking, it's better to go straight to the source rather than queue for hours outside a department store to see what turns out to be a bearded decoy for the real providers.

It will be interesting to see what the numbers say next year about the retail advertising spend for this Christmas period. Retail sales dipped in the most recent retail spending report published in Australia, some suggesting that this might be a sign that the Government stimulus package might be starting to run out of steam. I guess it must be if I have yet to stumble across a hidden cache of Christmas presents stacked under the stairs. And I would know if they were there because that space is also shared by my modest wine cellar. At least there is some Christmas cheer bottled up under there. Ho! Ho! Ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on this, drop them here...